June 8, 2020
Gold Plated jewelry, what does it mean?
Are you looking for good quality gold jewelry, but do you think real gold is just a little too expensive? Then a gold plated piece of jewelry is the perfect solution! Gold plated jewelry looks the same as the real gold version but is a lot more affordable. Below we explain what gold plated is exactly!
A gold plated piece of jewelry is a piece of metal jewelry with a layer of another metal on top, in this case, liquid gold. Because the layer of gold plating is very thin, gold plated jewelry is much more affordable than jewelry made of real gold. Another name for gold plated is gold plated.
All our gold plated jewelry has a layer of 14-carat gold micron plating over 925 Sterling Silver. The base of the jewelry is silver. There is also an extra protective layer over the gold plating so that your jewelry is optimally protected against scratches and damages.
Our rings are an exception and have brass instead of silver. Brass has a dark gold colour and is a mixture of copper and zinc. This is the perfect base for our rings because the colour will last longer. Even if it is scratched, the ring still looks just as beautiful, because the colour of our brass is the same color as the plating!
In our webshop, you will find all our gold plated rings, necklaces, bracelets and earrings. Filter for gold and you will find them all!
How do I keep my gold plated jewelry beautiful?
How long your gold plated jewelry stays beautiful depends on various factors. For example of the thickness of the gold plating or external influences, such as rain and even oxygen. It is important that you take good care of your jewelry and handle it with care. Below we share some tips, so that you keep your jewelry beautiful:
- Take off your gold plated jewelry while showering, swimming or washing your hands. The gold plating is very sensitive to water and chlorine
- If you come into contact with chemical products, such as detergent or washing-up liquid, take off your jewelry and do not put it back on until your hands are dry
- Take off your jewelry when spraying perfume or hairspray. Also, take them off if you apply a lotion or (sunscreen) cream!
- Take off your gold plated jewelry while exercising. Sweat has a negative effect on the gold plating and its colour.
This is how you keep your jewelry beautiful:
- Make sure you store your jewelry neatly and keep them in a closed, dark place, for example in a box or bag. You can also use the beautiful Flawed jewelry box you receive when you order a ring or necklace
- Take off your jewelry while sleeping! If you are a wild sleeper, chains can even be dangerous and a big earring does not sleep well…
If you handle your gold-plated jewelry with care, you can wear them for a long time.
Check out all our gold plated jewelry here and choose a beautiful ring, bracelet, necklace or a set of earrings!